It’s been so long since I’ve had macaroni and cheese. I used to just eat the boxed kind that you just simply toss on the stove with a few added ingredients.
Unfortunately, since I am lactose intolerant, I’ve had to get a bit creative for this comfort food recipe. I found a recipe for nondairy cheese which is actually pretty simple. I’ve used it here as a cheese replacement since I cannot have nut or soy cheeses too. You can find this recipe at AIP Friendly NonDairy Cheese.
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this comfort food recipe for Macaroni and Cheese!
- 1-2 cups cooked pasta of choice (I used Trader Joes Organic Brown Rice Pasta)
- 1 cup cooked broccoli
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 5 cloves of garlic, mashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of ground mustard
- 1 tsp of arrowroot powder
- 1/2 block of nondairy cheese (or about 1-2 cups equivalent of your favorite cheese shredded)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large sauce pot, bring water to a boil. Then add your pasta and broccoli and cook until al denti according to the pasta’s instructions.
- While your pasta is cooking, in a small saucepan, add all the sauce ingredients and let simmer until a thick consistency. Stir occasionally to make sure the cheese is melted and does not burn or the sauce starts boiling.***
- Once the broccoli and pasta are cooked, drain then add to a large casserole dish.
- Add your sauce to the pasta and stir until well coated.
- Place a lid on the dish and place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes, remove the lid so the top can get brown and crispy.
- Once heated thoroughly, remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
Optional: You can also add breadcrumbs before placing in the oven for a more crunchy topping.
*** Alternatively, once you drain your pasta, you can add all your sauce ingredients back into the same pot with the pasta and simmer on low heat till cheese sauce is mixed thoroughly. Then transfer to a casserole dish and continue with the above instructions.