As the temperatures begin to warm, I notice that I start looking for easy to make meals that are cooler in general. What do you think of when the weather gets warmer? I think of smoothies, ice cream and popsicles, swimming, air conditioning, beaches, sandwiches, and salads.
The warming temperatures of spring have had me craving chicken salad lately. Now as I am non-dairy, trying to come up with a mayonnaise I can eat was very interesting. I found one from One Green Planet Vegan Mayo Recipe awhile ago that works wonders. Though if you don’t have enough time to make your own, purchasing one from the grocery store is a great substitute too. Some brands are Vegenaise and Just Mayo that I have tried. There’s definitely a lot more out on the market now than a few years ago so definitely suggest selecting your favorite.
If you’re up for making your own mayo, there are a ton of recipes online. As I linked above, I use the One Green Planet Vegan Mayo recipe. I just replace the soy milk with hemp milk and add a bit of extra canola oil to help make it thicker. Then I usually let it sit overnight to solidify and get cold. I find it usually lasts me about three days give or take.
Anyways, back to the chicken salad. You can add additional items like cut grapes or onions (or perhaps for a spicier version, peppers!) to the recipe to add a bit of pizzazz. Below I laid out the basics but don’t let that stop you from being creative! This works great as a sandwich, a wrap, or even on a salad. Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Salad (Non-Dairy, Gluten Free)
- 3 tablespoons nondairy mayonnaise
- 2 cooked, medium-sized chicken breasts shredded or cubed
- 4-6 celery stalks chopped small
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grab a medium mixing bowl, tablespoon, ingredients, and a mixing spoon.
- Shred or cube your cooked chicken breasts (your preference as I’ve done both and it still tastes awesome.). Add your chicken to your mixing bowl.
- Wash and chop your celery into bite-sized pieces. Then add to your mixing bowl.
- Take about 3 tablespoons of your nondairy mayonnaise of choice and add to your celery and chicken.
- Then add salt and pepper to taste before mixing.
- Place in refrigerator for an hour or two to cool and the flavors to mix or can eat right away.
- Enjoy as a sandwich, wrap, or even as a salad!