Happy Oatmeal Monday!
According to Wikipedia, the second Monday in February is considered Oatmeal Monday. Apparently, Scottish students from the 17th to the 19th century had a diet that consisted of eating oatmeal. You can find out more about it here on Wikipedia.
As you are aware, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But who has time for a big breakfast when we have to run to work or do errands or take care of our families? A simple but filling breakfast is what’s needed! What are your favorite ways to enjoy oatmeal? I love adding fruit or cinnamon and brown sugar!
- 1 cup Rolled or steel cut oats
- 1 medium sweet apple diced and peeled
- A dash of cinnamon
- Sweetner of choice (1tbs of liquid sweetner like agave or maple syrup or couple of stevia packets)
- About 1 cup of water
- Take a saucepan and add water. Heat on low to medium heat.
- Peel and dice your apple then set aside.
- Once water is boiling, add your oats and reduce heat to a summer. Stir occassionally and allow to cook for about 5 minutes or so till oats are soft.
- Once the oats are done, remove from heat.
- Add your apple,cinnamon, and sweetner of choice to taste.
- Serve in bowls. Makes approximately 2 servings.